Sunday, June 14, 2009

I completely agree with Dr. Strange's advocacy against "burp back" knowledge. We don't learn from regurgitation, but through action. I hate the way the school system teaches whats on the test and nothing else. I think teachers have forgotten to teach students how to learn and ask questions. We have stubbed out natural curiosity and replaced it with formulas that will get the answer. I am not a huge fan of "no child left behind". I think that is exactly what we have done. We have kids in 4th grade who read at a second grade level! We don't teach the process anymore. I hope when I become a teacher that we can eradicate a lot of the mess we have created.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a student at the University of South Alabama persuing a degree in Elementary Education. I am using this blog to post my philosophies and experiences about teaching. My hope is for this blog to help fellow professionals to know me better.